This Friday, join us for Fiber Arts Department’s Orientation. This orientation is for people who already have sewing experience, and would like to get approved to use the CMS Fiber Arts Department independently. Participants will get familiar with department procedures and policies, the CMS’s Singer Heavy Duty sewing machines (basic operation – not “how to sew”), cutting tools, layout tools, and the iron. All materials will be provided.
This orientation will not cover the quilting machine or Juki industrial sewing machine.
This orientation is free for CMS Members & $25 for non-members.
Other Upcoming Events
May – June
Claremont MakerSpace’s goal is to help people make cool stuff. Inherent to that goal is to reuse and reduce what might otherwise end up in a landfill. Caffeine is a key ingredient to fueling our cool projects. One byproduct is a proliferation of empty K-Cups – which is where you come in:
What cool project can you come up with to stop these K-Cups from ending up in a landfill?
- K- Cups contain a foil top, coffee grounds, a mesh filter and a plastic cup. Use any or all parts in your project.
- CMS has a supply of used K-Cups (cleaned) on our free table for your project (use them while supplies last).
- Contest deadline will be June 1st at noon. Please send pictures and a description of your project to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Projects will be judged via the CMS Facebook page by number of ‘likes’ during the second week on June. The three projects with the most ‘likes’ will get prizes.
- This contest is open to anyone! (CMS members and the general public)
3rd Place: Two six packs of King’s Row Cold Brew coffee & a reusable K-Cup!
2nd Place: A reusable K-Cup, coffee from Curious Beans & a cool coffee cup!
1st Place: A One Month Unlimited Membership to CMS (oh & a reusable K-Cup)!
Please register below to be included in email updates about the contest! Questions? Email email@example.com
Every Tuesday, 6 PM
Join us for 3D PRINT CLUB! Every week, we’ll get together and participate in an open design session. This event is all about self-directed learning and hanging out with other people working on 3D designs or prints. Bring your own laptop or make use of the (first come-first-serve) Makerspace laptops loaded with Fusion 360.
3D Print Club is presented free, but registration is required.
Thursday, May 30th, 6 – 8 PM
The Claremont MakerSpace’s laser cutter/engraver is an incredible capable tool which can be used for making high precision cuts and engravings on a wide variety of materials. Join us for Laser 101 to learn:
• How the laser cutter/engraver works and how to operate it safely
• What materials are safe to cut and engrave with the CMS’s laser
• How to prepare an image for cutting using Corel Draw
Participants of Laser 101 will have the opportunity to attend a follow-up certification session, at which time they may be approved to use the CMS’s laser cutter/engraver on their own.
Saturday June 1st, 11 AM – 2 PM
Join the creative community at the Claremont MakerSpace.
Access to the Claremont MakerSpace is gained via Membership – like a gym membership. Claremont MakerSpace Memberships offer:
- Access to shared tools and workshops for woodworking, machining, fiber arts, electronics, welding, robotics, jewelry and metalsmithing, graphic design, fabrication, prototyping, programming and more.
- Discounts on equipment training/certification and classes, ranging from specialty fabrication techniques to business development, offered at the MakerSpace.
- Discounts on special events, focusing on the arts, entrepreneurship and innovative technologies, hosted at the MakerSpace.
- Options for personal studio space and project and materials storage space.
Interested in Access to CMS For You & Your Coworkers?
The Claremont MakerSpace Corporate Usage Account (CUA) program is a great way to offer a unique benefit to a businesses employees’, while investing in the development of their creative and professional skills. It’s a simple and flexible program that lets employees of CUA businesses get a substantial discount on CMS Membership and classes. To learn more, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Got Computer Skills? Share ‘em!
Our computer lab is a great resource of software, design and education. We’d love to help our community access new skills and grow their own. Do you have specific software or hardware knowledge? CAD, Fusion 360, Illustrator, Design, Photoshop and would be willing to share? Please drop a note to email@example.com.
See below for more upcoming classes!
Follow the links for more information
The K – Cup Challenge Contest (All Month Long!)
Laser 101 5/30, 6 – 8 PM
Fiber Arts Orientation 5/31, 5:30 – 7 PM
Make A Silver Ring 6/9, 11 AM – 2 PM (Just Added)
Intro to CNC Routing 6/11, 6 – 9 PM
Want to be a Marketing Maven? Add Video to the Mix! 6/12, 6 – 8 PM
Intro to Plasma Cutting 6/13, 6 – 8:30 PM (Just Added)
Community Resources in Energy Efficiency 6/17, 6 – 7 PM (Just Added)
Intro to Audio Mixing 6/18, 6 – 8 PM (Just Added)
Financing Master Class 6/19, 6 – 7:30 PM (Just Added)
Rights and Responsibility of Renting 6/22, 10 AM – 12 PM (Just Added)
Make A Hand Painted Silk Scarf 6/25, 6 – 8:30 PM (Just Added)
We’ve got even more classes/events on the calendar, so check out the full line up HERE.
Interested in teaching a class at CMS? We recently updated our site with information on how you can share your skills at CMS.
Questions about upcoming classes, events or the Claremont MakerSpace in general? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Claremont MakerSpace Team