Volunteering at the Claremont MakerSpace is a great way to support our mission.
Please contact us if you are interested in volunteering to help run the Claremont MakerSpace.
CMS Instructors come from a variety of skill sets and backgrounds, the unifying characteristic being a desire to share their knowledge and expertise. CMS is always interested in finding new and qualified instructors to lead tool training, create hands-on projects, explain interesting concepts and impart their knowledge. Workshops can range from within one of our departments (Woodshop, Machine Shop, Welding, Sewing, Textiles, Jewelry, Electronics, Laser Cutting, 3D Printing) to computer and software skills, entrepreneurial readiness, hobby development, crafting and a lot more.
Interested in offering a class at CMS? Please fill out our Class Proposal Form here.
Shop Leads are dedicated volunteers who play a key role at the CMS by:
- Helping with maintenance and cleaning of specific CMS areas and equipment.
- Assisting in the Tool Training and Testing process (qualifying new members to grant them access to CMS tools and equipment).
- Serving as an in-house mentor and helper who can answer questions about specific tools, processes and crafts to help members better their skills, use of equipment and improve the quality of their projects.
Shop Lead is an unpaid/volunteer position, but will receive a CMS membership in exchange for their time and assistance.
We’re seeking Shop Leads for the following departments:
• Machine Shop
• Textiles / Sewing
• Electronics & Rapid Prototyping (3D & Laser)
If you have substantial experience in any of these areas, and would like to be considered for a Shop Lead position, please start by filling out this form: HERE
Front Desk (aka Desker)
The Claremont MakerSpace front desk is staffed during operating hours by volunteer “Deskers.” Responsibilities of Deskers include things such as:
- Welcome members to the CMS and help familiarize them with the facility.
- Welcome and interface with visitors to the CMS. Verify membership status prior to allowing access to facility.
- Lead regularly scheduled tours of the CMS.
- Oversee completion of liability waivers, class registration forms, and new member sign-up applications. Collection and secure storage of payments. Collection and distribution of mail.
- Cleaning common, non-shop, areas (opening and closing).
- Answering the telephone, answering questions about CMS membership and facilities.
- And more!
In exchange for their time and awesome assistance, Deskers will receive an Unlimited CMS membership. If you’re interested in helping to run the front desk at the CMS, and would like to get more details about this volunteer position, please send us an email at: [email protected].